Wednesday, November 02, 2011
9 Reasons to Be Creative
You should embrace your creativity.
1. Because it's what you were made to do. You're created in God's image with the ability to create and make something that has never existed before. You can reflect God to the world by creating something that is wholly new and completely yours.
2. Because no one else can. There is nobody who can do what you can do. No one else in the world who has ever lived can create the things that you can create. It's not about having enough talent, it's about using the talent you have. Your words, your images, your lyrics and your melodies are unique. Share them with the world.
3. Because you have a voice. Michelangelo is credited with saying: "I critique by making something beautiful." Your creativity lets you critique, praise and shape the world around you. You can comment on politics, religion, art or your local parks department. Just let your voice come out in your creativity.
4. Because of those who have gone before you. Creativity isn't done in a vacuum. You're inspired and shaped by all of the people who have gone before you. The people who taught you your craft, the people who inspired you and even the people who discouraged you. They've all contributed to making you the creator that you are.
5. Because of the blandness of the world. So much of what's going on in the world today is repackaging. Movies are reboots instead of new ideas. Books are all about a topic that's popular (vampires or zombies) rather than what's good. In a world that sticks to the formula because it's safe, we need you to break the mold, because it's interesting.
6. Because of those who will come after you. The next generation of creators needs you to teach and inspire them to be creative. Just like you were inspired and taught, you need to share that with them. Give your creativity as a blessing to help the people who are doubting whether they can do it.
7. Because your heart demands it. You are filled with thoughts about how to shape the world around you. In little ways, or in big ways, your creativity reflects what's within you. Getting your heart out and expressed gives it power and stability. It allows you to interact with yourself in new and meaningful ways.
8. Because it's redemptive. God took ashes and brought beauty. It's not only creative to make something out of nothing, but to redeem what's lost. Take trash and make art. Take old words and revive them. Take your old experiences and redeem them.
9. Because it's prophetic. God didn't create us to sit still and be quiet. He gave us talents and skills to be used. He didn't put Adam and Eve in the garden to laze around, but to work. When we are re-united with God in the New Eden, we won't be there to sit around and be lazy. We'll be there with a purpose, with creativity and joy. We'll get to continue the very good work of God and keep making new and wonderful things.
Now, go and create!