Find us on Google+

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Embrace the Mystery

I have to admit that I'm very tempted to explain it all away. I love to know the right answer to the question - any question - and I love to share that answer with anyone who will listen. That's not a big problem when we sit down to play Trivial Pursuit, but it become difficult when it's time to talk about God.

God is bigger than any answer I have to give. I can talk about him, and say true things about him, but my words can never confine God. God is a mystery, not to be solved (by meddling kids or otherwise), but to be embraced and dwelt with.

Sometimes when I preach I'm tempted to offer the right answers to the deepest questions about theology. I want to explain why bad things happen to good people. I want to describe how God created us with free will, yet still predestines us. I want to make sense of the Trinity, heaven, and hell. But I do a disservice to God and to my neighbors when I try to explain a mystery.

How can you encourage dwelling in the mysteries of God?

No comments: