Find us on Google+

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Standing Desk - Day 1

After a conversation with my friend, Jason over the weekend I decided to try out a standing desk. I've been freelance writing for 19 months now and doing it full-time for the last 15 or so. It's awesome to be able to work from home and have a flexible schedule, but that means that I'm sitting down most of my day.

According to several studies, sitting for long amounts of time is detrimental to your health. It slows the metabolism, decreases circulation, harms posture and is linked to the onset of diseases like diabetes and cancer, even in people who regularly exercise when they aren't at work.

So I'm about one hour into the first day of standing at my desk. Yesterday we found a perfect folding desk at Goodwill that sits on my regular desk and puts my laptop at the right height for typing, plus it has enough space for my mouse and a cup of coffee.

Today I'm going to stand for an hour at a time. One hour on and one hour off. It takes time to build up the endurance to stand all day after sitting so long, so I'm not going to over do it.

My big issue right now is my external monitor (which is also our 32" TV). It sits too low when I'm standing, but I don't have a good way to raise it up right now. Currently I'm using a book under the stand to tilt it so that it's angled a bit. We'll see how that works out.

Have you tried a standing desk? How did it work for you? Do you have any advice for me?

No comments: