Find us on Google+

Thursday, March 03, 2011

I Might be Wrong

After years of careful study and reflection, I finally admitted that I was wrong. It was tough, but eventually I became convinced that it was best to just change rather than continue to fight against what I know to be incorrect.

My process involved a thorough study of the bible and biblical interpretation including the traditional interpretations alongside the original language and historical setting. I talked with lots of people and reflected throughout the process. I prayed for wisdom and kept reading the bible to look for what God is trying to say through scripture. In the end I became convinced that what I had always thought was actually wrong and that the bible was teaching something different.

I'm avoiding the specific topic (partly because this has happened several times on different issues), because I don't want to derail the conversation by getting into the details of a certain doctrine. What's more important, I think, is to have an attitude of submission to scripture where we recognize that what God teaches through the bible is greater than our opinions or traditions, and if God is teaching something through scripture that contradicts what I've always believed, then my beliefs need to change. It's painful. I don't like it. But in the end it's better for me and it's better for the people of God to actually let the word of God be our authority.

When have you admitted to being wrong? How did you go through the process?

2 comments:

PastorGregO said...

Amen Brother, hopefully we'll always be learning and willing to admit it when we need to grow and change. Thanks for this post.

James T Wood said...

My pleasure.

Growth is never fun, but it's better than the alternative.