Find us on Google+

Monday, January 25, 2010

Being Organic



I have heard a lot of people saying that they want church to feel "organic" and I got to thinking about what that really means. What they are saying is that they want an experience that feels natural, non-produced, flowing, and open. They are using 'organic' as an antonym to 'produced' or 'planned' church services.

Here's the problem. When we talk about organic food and farming, there is a ton of planning and work that goes into the process. Note, this idea is not original to me, but I don't remember where I got it, I wish I could give credit to whom credit is due.

Organic ministry takes a ton of planning and work in order to feel like it just flows. An "organic" sermon will often take more effort to appear to flow. If you allow people to interact and ask question during the sermon you will need to know the passage more deeply than if you are the only one talking.

What do you think? How do you do "organic" ministry?

No comments: