Find us on Google+

Monday, January 18, 2010

Time for a Rant


There are some things that I need to get off my chest. Some stuff just bothers me and I need to let it out.


First, if you are going to project anything on your screen, make sure you proof read it first. Especially important is when you have a big, iconic word as the centerpiece of your slide. I saw this slide in church on Sunday and it made me wince in pain. If you don't know Greek, you probably don't notice the error, but the Greek word transliterated 'agape' is misspelled on this slide. It should be spelled: αγαπη. 


Note: I've already e-mailed heartlight.org regarding this error. 


The lesson here is that you need to check everything, and if you don't know, ask someone who does. 


Other rants - anything number-point-oh is automatically lame. Web 2.0, Evangelism 2.0, Church 3.0. Stop, just stop. If you are not actually measuring versions of something by using decimal classifications, then you don't use this.


Just because something cost a lot of money doesn't make it good and I don't really care how much it cost. "Avatar" cost somewhere between $230 and $500 million dollars. This research project cost $7 million dollars. That car cost $10 million to research and develop. Um, so what. Just make it good and stop telling me how much it cost. Some free stuff is pretty awesome: craigslist.org, google.com, etc.


I'm also really annoyed that Macs are attractive to Mac fans. I know a lot of people who are very nice and use Macs. But I only hear about the people who have a smug sense of self-satisfaction that they have a computer that is stylish. I don't have a problem with Macs, but the smarmy fan-boys who can't shut up about how terrible PC's are really make me angry.



Thanks for letting me rant for a bit. I feel much better now.

No comments: