Find us on Google+

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Preaching Notes

How do you put together your sermon notes? Over at the Acts 29 blog they have a good post on the difference between scripted sermons and outline sermons. Usually those are the two methods of taking notes for sermons that preaching students will learn in school. I've learned both and experimented with both myself. Personally I tend more toward the outline school, but recently I've been trying to preach without notes altogether.

I know that seems weird. There's so much information to go through in a sermon, but I find that notes often get in between me and the congregation when I'm preaching. If I prepare my sermon so that I can give it without notes I stay more connected with the people and engaged with the process. It also makes it easier to work with visuals because I can change things on the fly.

I know that my style may not work for everyone, but I'm going to share a bit about my methods in the coming posts. Take what works for you and leave the rest.

I'm curious, though, how do you take notes for your sermons?

No comments: